Tuesday, February 4, 2014

No luck today with the NT scan

Hubs and I just got back from the NT scan. It was a no-go because baby was not in the mood to cooperate and preferred doing headstands, so the sonographer couldn't get a clear head shot and therefore couldn't measure the nuchal translucency behind the neck.  She tried everything to make the baby shift positions: made me empty my bladder, had me lay on my side, tilted the table so far backward I felt like I was going to fall on my head, tried the u/s transvaginally, had me chug an entire bottle of cold water while wandering around the room...nothing worked. She also was not the least bit concerned about digging around in my stomach HARD with that damn u/s wand the entire time, trying to turn/shift the baby, and HOLY CRAP did that transvaginal HURT!  I have never had it hurt like that before in aaaaall my closeups with the dildocam; even when my ovaries were the size of saucers right before the egg retrieval it did not hurt this much.  Maybe it was because my uterus (and ovaries?) has shifted so the pressure from the internal wand now feels like a giant knife?  Or maybe this sonographer just enjoyed hurting me? Who knows.  What I do know is that I had to focus on some deep breathing to get through this today.  And I get to do it all again on Friday for NT scan 2.0!

Hopefully baby feels like cooperating on Friday because at that point I'll already be 13 weeks so time is running out on getting this done. (Part 1 of this integrated screening needs to be completed by 13w6d at the LATEST.) Also, since we couldn't get the NT measurements today I also couldn't get the bloodwork done and will be doing that on Friday as well assuming all goes well.  At the sonographer's suggestion, I'll be drinking some apple or orange juice before Friday's appt which should definitely keep the baby moving around! Fingers crossed.

The good news: We did get to see the baby waving his/her little arms at us!! That was awesome and I'm smiling right now just thinking about it. I can't really put into words how that made me feel - just amazing (and happy and relieved and hopeful and grateful and and and...). Heartbeat was still healthy at 140bpm and even though s/he didn't want to turn to give us a profile pic and seemed a little sleepy this morning, everything looked good and s/he was active. Even though we couldn't get the measurement today I just feel so unbelievably relieved after seeing our baby moving and looking normal because I've been freaking myself out lately with horrible vivid dreams of shit that I do not need to be thinking about right now.  Hopefully those nightmares will all stop now :-) 

I'm hoping to have a nice clear picture to post on Friday! 

10 comments:

  1. I am sorry the baby wasn't cooperating today, but glad the baby is doing well otherwise! And bonus - you get to see the baby again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another ultrasound - what a bummer! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got to see the baby, even he/she decided not to cooperate! Yay for another ultrasound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Pete wasn't cooperating, and that the u/s sounded really uncomfortable. But yay for getting to see your little Pete again :) Sending lots of love, and hoping it goes better on Fri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that the u/s was painful & hope that little Petey Nugget cooperates on Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! "Petey Nugget" - new nickname!!

      Delete
  6. Boo for having to repeat the appointment, but yay for getting to see a healthy baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. FX the LO cooperates on Friday! At least you'll get to see him/her again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Baby Pete;
    Please be nice on Friday and let them their work done because it's really awkward for mommy to have a dildo cam up her whoo haa.
    Love, BabyAle

    ReplyDelete